“What are we doing today?” is often the question dreaded by parents in the school holidays. With the double challenge of finding entertainment that doesn’t break the budget, we are well aware that the February half-term may feel daunting.
From coding, building a bug hotel to a free family film club – we have put together a list of either free or very low cost activities that can be enjoyed across BCP and wider Dorset.
Activities at Faithworks:
SMILE lone parent families
- SMILE are running a free Games and Craft morning for lone parent families. Games and craft will be provided however feel free to bring a game or two and trading cards to play with others! If you would like to come along, simply contact Lucy on 07944 171432.
When – Friday 17 February, 9am – 12pm.
Where – Poole (contact Lucy for more details).
Cost – free.
Faithworks Recovery – support for those affected by addiction.
- Regular activities will continue to run throughout half-term including Staysafe, coffee catch ups and the infamous free cheese toastie club!
The Parks Foundation – Build a Bug House
- Come along to this family friendly Nature Recovery project activity and help make a brilliant bug house – these are fantastic habitats for many invertebrate species, including butterflies, bees, ladybirds, and spiders.
When – various dates over half-term (depending on location).
Where – various parks across BCP (see below for more detail).
Cost – free.
Find out more about activities across BCP on the Family Information Directory.
Christchurch – Red House Museum and Gardens
- The Dino Doodle Room – open to all, this space has been created to draw and doodle inspired by the theme of dinosaurs. Also available is a dino-themed play area for younger children and life-size dinosaur models in the garden.
- Dinosaur Trail – explore the museum and follow the trail to find out more about these incredible creatures.
When – 4 February – 5 March 2023 (see website).
Where – Red House Museum and Gardens, Quay Road, Christchurch, BH23 1BU.
Cost – £1 per dinosaur trail sheet (includes dinosaur sticker as prize), other activities mentioned here are free.
*Please note that the gallery is occasionally closed for bookable events.
Online Coding Courses: why not challenge your kids to try coding over half-term?
- The Code Zone are offering 5 initial free sessions (no credit card required to sign up).
- Software Academy are offering a 7 day free trial with their Skills Lab.